On the evening of the 23rd, a plan was agreed to leave the relative shelter of Dunmanus Bay and attempted to capitalise on a small forecast break in the weather and reach a shelf target area (up to 5 are planned if possible).
Heavy seas (cyclone induced swells) continue, but multibeam data acquisition at working area 4a is underway (see figure of current ship position from the Marine Institute’s Vessel Tracking functionality.
Heavy sea conditions may detract from the data quality acquired, so a decision to attempt data collection on the shelf (whilst a primary scientific objective) has to be weighed against the difficulty of doing so and the effect the conditions will have on any data collected. It is thus the more difficult of several possible options, including staying inshore and is thus commendable to attempt amidst the ongoing inclement conditions.
The ship’s position as of 12noon, 24th April: